We are seeking two Governors to join the Governing Body of Hook Junior School and are particularly interested in applications from individuals with experience of financial management, procurement, facilities management and special educational needs - although anyone interested in a role is encouraged to contact us and find out more
You may find it useful to review a short guide to Being a Governor at Hook Junior School .
Why become a Governor?
Hook Junior School has a fantastic ethos and a dedicated staff with ambition to achieve high academic, social and personal standards for all pupils. Old or young, employed or retired, we are looking for people who have the skills, time and commitment to help drive school improvement and the passion and ambition to help us achieve the best possible education and outcomes for our children. The ideal for us is to bring together a good mix of people from the local community, who can bring different viewpoints, experience, skills and fresh ideas with them.
If you volunteer to become a School Governor then you’ll join a team whose duties include:
- Reviewing the curriculum taught and progress pupils make;
- Determining how the school's budget is spent;
- Setting standards for pupils' behaviour and discipline;
- Making sure school buildings are welcoming and school is safe; and
- Setting and monitoring the school's aims and policies
We do this through taking up the role with the aim to:
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Hold the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
Anyone can come forward and we would be delighted to hear from you.
The school has a special place in the heart of its community and everyone who volunteers as a Governor has a role to play in helping make sure every child gets the best possible education.
Each person finds their own reward but all find the knowledge and experience they gain as Governors valuable and useful in other aspects of their life. Governors are supported by a wide range of free courses and learning materials and resources to make them as effective as possible in their role.
More information about volunteering to be a School Governor is available via the Hampshire County Council website and the National Governors Association, including an overview of Governor activities and responsibilities for those who are not familiar with the role.
Interested and want to apply?